• Vienna airport

    Brexit and Travelling to Austria

    One thing’s for certain: You can still travel to Austria after Brexit – and we look forward to welcoming you. However, there are a few things travellers might want to consider to be on the safe side.

    On 1 January 2021, the transition period has ended, and UK citizens are no longer subject to EU rights. The following rules are in effect:

    Visa Requirements for Holidays

    As a UK national, you will not need a visa to travel to Austria for a holiday (up to 90 days in any 180-day period).

    • UK nationals do not need a visa for short-term holidays (up to 90 days in any 180-day period).
    • At border control, you may need to show a return or onward ticket or prove that you have enough money for your stay.
    • You may need a visa or permit to stay for longer, to work or study, or for business travel.
    • Please be aware that different rules may apply to non-UK nationals, even if they are family members of UK nationals.

    Learn more

    Travelling for Business

    British workers travelling to Austria are subject to the following rules:

    • Short-term business trips (e.g. for business meetings, contract negotiations) are covered by the 90-day visa-free period.
    • Longer-term posting of workers is also visa-free for up to 90 days.
    • Postings from 90 days up to 6 months require a visa; longer postings require a residence permit.

    For any specific questions on visas and working in Austria, please contact the Austrian embassy.


    On the day you travel, you’ll need your passport to both:

    • have at least 6 months left
    • be less than 10 years old (even if it has 6 months or more left)

    If this is not the case, you may not be able to travel to the EU, including Austria.

    Learn more on travel and passports requirements

    EHIC / Travel Insurance

    Within the EU, the EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) gives citizens access to a wide range of healthcare options. Please be aware that private healthcare and services like mountain rescues are not covered.

    • If you currently have an EHIC, it will remain valid until the date of expiry.
    • Certain people, such as EU citizens living in the UK before 2021 and their family members, can apply for a UK-GHIC (UK Global Health Insurance Card). Learn more here.
    • We highly recommend all UK travellers buy travel insurance for any trip in the future.

    Learn more on foreign travel insurance

    Driving in Austria

    • If you have a card driving licence issued in the UK, you can use it to drive in the EU.
    • You may need an International Driving Permit, which you can obtain from your post office, if you have a paper driving licence or a licence issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey, or the Isle of Man.
    • If you drive to Austria using your own vehicle, you will need a physical copy of your vehicle's ‘green card’.
    • You must also display a GB sticker clearly on the rear of your vehicle if your number plate has either a Euro symbol; a national flag of England, Scotland or Wales; OR numbers and letters only – no flag or identifier.

    Learn more about driving in the EU

    Taking Your Pet on Holiday

    When travelling to an EU country, your pet needs:

    Learn more on taking your pet to the EU

    Roaming Fees

    If you travel to Austria, you may be subject to roaming fees when using your mobile phone. The following mobile service providers have said they will not charge for EU roaming after Brexit: Three UK, EE, GiffGaff (O2 network), O2, Sky Mobile, Tesco Mobile, Virgin Media, Vodafone.

    Learn more about using your mobile in the EU

    In summation:

    • You do not need a visa to travel to Austria for holidays (up to 90 days in a 180-day period)
    • Your passport needs to be valid for 6 months & be less than 10 years old
    • Travel insurance is highly recommended
    • You can use your UK card driving licence to drive in Austria (check additional requirements)
    • Your pet needs a microchip, a rabies vaccination, and an animal health certificate


    UK government advice on visiting Europe from 2021

    Information from the BBC

    Information from the Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA)

    Brexit Checker Tool for Personalised Actions